Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Australian National Commission of Audit?
- The National Commission of Audit was established by the Australian Government as an independent body to review and report on the performance, functions and roles of the Commonwealth government, consistent with the Terms of Reference [PDF - 134 KB] announced on 22 October 2013.
- What were the timeframes for the Commission?
The Commission’s Phase One Report was due to the Prime Minister, Treasurer, and the Minister for Finance by 14 February 2014. The Phase Two Report was due by the end of March 2014.
- Who are the Commissioners?
- The Government appointed Mr Tony Shepherd AO to chair the Commission. The other Commissioners were:
- Dr Peter Boxall AO
- Mr Tony Cole AO
- Mr Robert Fisher AM
- The Hon Amanda Vanstone
The Commission's Secretariat was headed up by Mr Peter Crone.
- Did the Commission call for submissions?
The National Commission of Audit called for public submissions in the week of 4 November 2013 via advertisements in national, metropolitan and regional newspapers and this web site. Public submissions closed on 26 November 2013.
- How did the Commission handle potential conflicts of interest?
The Commission used a protocol for identifying and addressing potential conflicts of interest [DOC - 18 KB].
- Have the Commission's reports been delivered to the Government?
As set out in the National Commission of Audit’s Terms of Reference and the subsequent announcement by the Treasurer on 21 January 2014, the Phase 1 and Phase 2 reports were due to be delivered to the Government by 14 February 2014 and 31 March 2014 respectively.
- When will the Commission’s reports be publically released?
Publication of the reports, and the timing in doing so, are decisions for the Government and not the Commission.
- Was there a separate public submissions process for Phase 2?
No. The National Commission of Audit called for public submissions addressing the full Terms of Reference in the week of 4 November 2013 via advertisements in national, metropolitan and regional newspapers and this web site. Public submissions closed on 26 November 2013.
- Can I or my organisation meet with Commissioners?
The Commission ceased on 31 March 2014.